Sunday, July 15, 2012

Week Seven

In week seven we learned about Audacity which is a free music editing software similar to Adobe Soundbooth.  We reviewed the Audacity interface and took some time to practice deleting portions of sound files.  We focus on removing the portion of a sound file that had singing and voiceover, in order to just have the background music.  This type of editing could be done to use the instrumental portion of a song as intro or outro music for an online module.  We also learned we could loop this section of music in order to extend its play time. 

We then moved into Captivate and learned how to add audio into our Captivate projects.  We saw how audio integrates into the timeline and practice adding audio to specific objects within a slide.  This could be useful in a situation where children learn sounds, for example by clicking on the cow a 'Moo' sound would be triggered.  In a professional instance, it could be used to help mechanics recognize 'bad' sounds of a specific piece of machinery. 

Next week we are using our class time to do individual reviews of our projects, my slot is at 7pm.  I've completed the storyboard for the first of two modules and am now working on solidifying the artwork for the layout of my modules.  I am working to develop custom buttons, which will vary in color depending on if they are active, have been clicks, etc.  I am also tinkering with Captivate and InDesign to determine the size of my recordings.  I have to find a nice balance between the space for the movie on the screen and the area for text, I am unsure if I will be using audio in my modules.  I actually am attending a two day advanced InDesign training this week, so hopefully with the feedback from my review and what I learn in training I will be even more prepared to begin building the module. 

Until Week Eight!



No comments:

Post a Comment